Discover the Secrets of ZDR with Expert Tips on Leveling Up, Finding Upgrades, and Mastering Samus’ Abilities in Metroid Dread!
Metroid Dread, the latest installment in the long-running Metroid series, once again finds players controlling the iconic bounty hunter Samus Aran as she explores the mysterious and dangerous planet ZDR. The game combines the series’ classic action-platforming with modern upgrades, providing players with a fresh and exciting adventure. While there is no traditional leveling system in Metroid Dread, players can still “level up” by finding power-ups, upgrades, and hidden items. This in-depth article will guide you through the process of becoming stronger in Metroid Dread, helping you conquer ZDR’s many challenges.
How to Collect Energy Tanks and Energy Parts
Energy Tanks are crucial items that boost Samus’ maximum health, enabling her to endure more damage. Throughout the game, you’ll find Energy Tanks hidden in various locations. To discover these vital items, keep an eye out for secret passages and breakable walls. In addition to standard Energy Tanks, Metroid Dread also features Energy Parts, which function similarly to Heart Pieces in The Legend of Zelda series. When you collect four Energy Parts, they combine to create a new Energy Tank.
Tips for finding Energy Tanks and Energy Parts:
- Use your Scan Pulse ability to reveal hidden paths and destructible blocks.
- Pay attention to suspicious-looking areas or places where the map indicates an item is nearby.
- When you obtain new abilities or upgrades, revisit previously explored areas to access previously unreachable locations.
Seek Out Missile Tanks and Super Missile Tanks
Missile Tanks are another essential collectible in Metroid Dread. Each Missile Tank you find increases your missile capacity by 2, allowing you to carry more missiles. Missiles are potent projectiles that can damage enemies, destroy specific barriers, and open Missile Doors. A larger missile capacity will better prepare you to handle the challenges that lie ahead.
Super Missile Tanks are a rarer upgrade that you’ll encounter later in the game. These tanks increase your Super Missile capacity, providing you with an even more powerful weapon against tough enemies and bosses.
Tips for finding Missile Tanks and Super Missile Tanks:
- Like with Energy Tanks, use your Scan Pulse ability to reveal hidden paths and breakable blocks.
- Keep an eye out for any unusual markings or patterns on the walls, which could indicate a hidden Missile Tank.
- Similar to Energy Tanks, when you obtain new abilities or upgrades, revisit previously explored areas to uncover previously inaccessible locations.
How to Acquire the Varia and Gravity Suits
Throughout Metroid Dread, you’ll come across areas with extreme temperatures or hazardous liquids that can hinder Samus’ progress. To overcome these environmental obstacles, you’ll need to find the Varia Suit and Gravity Suit upgrades.
The Varia Suit protects Samus from extreme heat, allowing her to explore heated areas without taking damage. The Gravity Suit, on the other hand, enables Samus to move freely through liquid environments without being slowed down or hindered.
Tips for finding the Varia and Gravity Suits:
- Pay attention to the game’s narrative and the information provided by Adam, the artificial intelligence guiding you throughout the game. He will often hint at the general location of crucial upgrades.
- Both suits are typically found within major boss areas, so make sure to explore these locations thoroughly.
How to Obtain Beam Upgrades
Samus’ primary weapon, her Arm Cannon, can be upgraded with various Beam abilities throughout the game. These upgrades enhance her firepower and provide new ways to combat enemies and solve environmental puzzles. Some of the Beam upgrades you’ll find in Metroid Dread include:
- Charge Beam: Allows Samus to charge up her shots for more significant damage and can be used to open Charge Beam Doors
- Ice Beam: Can freeze enemies and certain environmental hazards, allowing Samus to create platforms and navigate through previously inaccessible areas.
- Wave Beam: Can shoot through walls and barriers, making it easier to hit enemies hiding behind obstacles.
- Plasma Beam: Can penetrate enemy shields and do massive damage to bosses.
Each Beam upgrade also has its own unique abilities, such as the Charge Beam’s ability to activate special switches or the Ice Beam’s ability to create frozen platforms.
Tips for finding Beam Upgrades:
- As with other upgrades, listen carefully to Adam’s guidance and explore major boss areas thoroughly.
- Use your Scan Pulse ability to reveal hidden paths and destructible walls.
- Keep an eye out for specific symbols and colors on doors and walls, which indicate which Beam upgrade you need to open them.
How to Upgrade Samus’ Abilities
In addition to finding new items and upgrades, you can also upgrade Samus’ abilities through the game’s Ability Tree. The Ability Tree is a branching system that allows you to unlock new abilities and upgrade existing ones by spending Ability Points, which you earn by defeating enemies and discovering hidden items.
Some of the essential upgrades in the Ability Tree include:
- Morph Ball upgrades: Allows Samus to access new areas while in her Morph Ball form, such as the Spider Ball upgrade, which enables her to climb on certain surfaces.
- Melee Counter: Allows Samus to counterattack enemies’ melee attacks and stun them, making it easier to deal with tough enemies.
- Speed Booster: Allows Samus to run at high speeds and charge through specific barriers.
Tips for upgrading Samus’ abilities:
- Try to defeat enemies as efficiently as possible to maximize the number of Ability Points you earn.
- Keep an eye out for Ability Point upgrades that increase the number of Ability Points you earn from defeated enemies.
- Prioritize upgrades that unlock new abilities, as they will open up new paths and provide you with new ways to explore and progress through the game.
How to Defeat Bosses and Gain New Abilities
Boss battles are a major component of Metroid Dread and are often the key to unlocking new abilities and upgrades. Each boss has a unique weakness and requires a different approach to defeat, so it’s essential to pay attention to their patterns and vulnerabilities.
Defeating bosses rewards you with new abilities and upgrades, such as the Screw Attack, which allows Samus to damage enemies by jumping into them, or the Grapple Beam, which allows her to swing from specific points and reach new areas.
Tips for defeating bosses:
- Listen to the information provided by Adam and pay attention to the boss’s patterns and vulnerabilities.
- Experiment with different Beam upgrades and abilities to find the boss’s weakness.
- Don’t be afraid to try again if you fail the first time. Boss battles can be challenging, but they provide some of the most rewarding upgrades in the game.
How to Explore Secret Areas
Metroid Dread is full of secret areas and hidden paths, and exploring these locations can reward you with powerful upgrades and collectibles. Some of these hidden areas require specific abilities or upgrades to access, so it’s essential to backtrack and revisit previously explored areas once you acquire new upgrades.
Tips for finding secret areas:
- Use your Scan Pulse ability to reveal hidden paths and breakable walls.
- Pay attention to the map and look for areas that are not fully explored or marked.
- Keep an eye out for suspicious-looking areas or objects, such as statues or destructible objects.
How to Master Samus’ Movement and Combat Abilities
Samus’ movement and combat abilities are essential for navigating the game’s environments and defeating enemies. Mastering these abilities can help you save health and ammo, as well as provide new ways to explore and progress through the game.
Some essential movement and combat abilities include:
- Wall Jump: Allows Samus to jump between two walls and climb up vertical shafts.
- Screw Attack: Allows Samus to damage enemies by jumping into them and destroy specific barriers.
- Aiming and Shooting: Allows Samus to aim and shoot in any direction while moving, enabling her to target enemies more accurately.
How you do wall jump ?
Wall jumping is a useful ability in Metroid Dread that allows Samus to jump between two walls and climb up vertical shafts. Here’s how to perform a wall jump in the game:
- Find a suitable area with two parallel walls that are close together. The walls should be climbable, meaning they should not have spikes or other obstacles that could harm Samus.
- Jump towards one of the walls and press the jump button again when Samus makes contact with the wall.
- As soon as Samus jumps off the first wall, immediately press the jump button again to jump towards the second wall.
- Repeat the process of jumping back and forth between the two walls to climb up the shaft.
It’s important to note that wall jumping in Metroid Dread requires precise timing, so it may take some practice to master the technique. It’s also worth noting that some areas in the game may require specific upgrades, such as the Spider Ball, to climb up walls, so make sure to explore thoroughly and acquire any necessary upgrades.
Tips for mastering Samus’ abilities:
- Practice using Samus’ abilities in different situations to get a feel for how they work.
- Experiment with different combos and strategies to find the most efficient way to defeat enemies.
- Don’t be afraid to revisit previously explored areas to practice using your abilities and discover new paths.
Use the Map and Markers Effectively
Metroid Dread features a detailed map that can help you navigate the game’s environments and find hidden areas and upgrades. The map also features markers that you can use to mark important locations or areas you want to revisit later.
Tips for using the map and markers effectively:
- Use the map to plan your route and make note of areas you want to explore further.
- Use markers to indicate important areas or upgrades you want to revisit later.
- Don’t be afraid to adjust your markers as you progress through the game and gain new abilities.
Game Map Guide and zones
Metroid Dread features a sprawling, interconnected map with various areas to explore and secrets to uncover. The map is divided into several distinct zones, each with its own set of environments and enemies.
Here’s a breakdown of the different zones on the map:
- Biome Area: This zone features lush forests and waterfalls and is home to the first boss of the game. It also contains the Morph Ball and Missile upgrades.
- Cold Area: This zone is covered in ice and snow and is home to a variety of icy enemies. It features several hidden areas that require the Ice Beam upgrade to access.
- Desert Area: This zone features scorching heat and sandstorms and is home to the second boss of the game. It also contains the Spider Ball and Power Bomb upgrades.
- Underwater Area: This zone is submerged in water and is home to a variety of aquatic enemies. It features several hidden areas that require the Gravity Suit upgrade to access.
- Chozo Area: This zone is the ruins of an ancient Chozo civilization and is home to the third boss of the game. It contains the Space Jump and Screw Attack upgrades.
- Central Area: This zone connects all of the other zones and is home to several important upgrades and secrets. It also features several hidden paths and shortcuts.
Throughout the game, you’ll encounter various doors and barriers that require specific upgrades to open, such as Missile Doors, Power Bomb Blocks, and Beam Doors. It’s important to pay attention to the different symbols and colors on these barriers, as they indicate which upgrade you need to access them.
To help you navigate the map, Metroid Dread features a detailed map system that displays all of the areas you’ve explored and marks areas you haven’t explored yet. The map also features markers that you can use to mark important locations or areas you want to revisit later.
It’s important to explore thoroughly and backtrack to previously explored areas once you acquire new upgrades, as you may discover new paths and hidden secrets. Don’t be afraid to experiment with different approaches and strategies to overcome obstacles and defeat enemies, and remember to save your progress frequently at save stations.
Pay Attention to Audio Cues and Environmental Clues
Metroid Dread provides several audio and environmental clues that can help you discover hidden paths, upgrades, and secrets. For example, certain items emit a distinctive sound when nearby, indicating their general location.
Tips for paying attention to audio and environmental clues:
- Listen carefully to the game’s audio cues, such as the distinctive sound that Energy Tanks and Missile Tanks make.
- Pay attention to environmental clues, such as markings on walls and floors or specific lighting patterns.
- Use your Scan Pulse ability to reveal hidden paths and objects that may not be immediately visible.
Be Patient and Persistent
Metroid Dread can be a challenging game, but with patience and persistence, you can overcome its obstacles and uncover its secrets. Don’t be discouraged if you fail the first time, and don’t hesitate to try again and experiment with different approaches.
Tips for being patient and persistent:
- Take breaks when needed and come back to the game with a fresh perspective.
- Experiment with different approaches and strategies until you find what works best for you.
- Don’t be afraid to ask for help or seek out guides if you’re stuck on a particular section.
Use Save Stations Wisely
Metroid Dread features save stations that allow you to save your progress and recharge your health and ammo. Save stations are essential for ensuring you don’t lose progress if you die or have to stop playing. However, they can also be used strategically to conserve resources and plan your route.
Tips for using save stations wisely:
- Plan your route and use save stations strategically to minimize backtracking and conserve resources.
- Use save stations to recharge your health and ammo before facing tough enemies or bosses.
- Don’t be afraid to backtrack and save your progress if you’ve made significant progress and want to ensure you don’t lose it.
Use the Melee Counter Effectively
The Melee Counter is a crucial ability that allows Samus to counterattack enemies’ melee attacks and stun them, making it easier to deal with tough enemies. Mastering the Melee Counter can save you health and ammo and provide new ways to defeat enemies.
Tips for using the Melee Counter effectively:
- Pay attention to enemies’ animations and use the Melee Counter when they are about to attack.
- Use the Melee Counter to stun enemies and set them up for a more powerful attack or combo.
- Experiment with different combos and strategies to find the most effective way to use the Melee Counter.
Manage Your Inventory
Metroid Dread features a variety of items and upgrades, and managing your inventory effectively can save you time and resources. Organizing your inventory can also help you plan your route and ensure you don’t miss any important upgrades.
Tips for managing your inventory:
- Prioritize items and upgrades that you use frequently or are essential for progressing through the game.
- Organize your inventory so that it’s easy to access the items and upgrades you need quickly.
- Don’t hesitate to discard items or upgrades you no longer need to make room for new ones.
Experiment with Different Beam Upgrades
Metroid Dread features several Beam upgrades that enhance Samus’ firepower and provide new ways to combat enemies and solve environmental puzzles. Experimenting with different Beam upgrades can help you find the most efficient way to defeat enemies and progress through the game.
Tips for experimenting with different Beam upgrades:
- Try out different Beam upgrades in different situations to see how they work and which ones are most effective.
- Pay attention to enemies’ weaknesses and experiment with different Beam upgrades to find the one that works best.
- Use the Beam upgrades to solve environmental puzzles and access hidden areas.
In conclusion, Metroid Dread offers a challenging and rewarding gaming experience that rewards exploration, strategy, and mastery of Samus’ abilities. By following these tips and strategies, you’ll be well on your way to becoming a skilled bounty hunter and uncovering the secrets of ZDR. Remember to use save stations wisely, manage your inventory effectively, and experiment with different upgrades and abilities. Good luck, bounty hunter!